There’s been a lot of talk about the flu this season, but it’s important for board and care homes in Woodland Hills and beyond to also be on the lookout for other serious illnesses, such as shingles. There is quite a bit of information out there, but sometimes it’s difficult to separate fact from fiction. And if employees at senior assisted living homes aren’t informed, the consequences could be severe.
Fortunately, an article published at Boca Home Care Services provides a detailed, yet concise summary of what shingles is, how people catch it and what it does to the body. This is key information for senior board and care homes to arm themselves with so they can decide whether they should have their employees and residents vaccinated.
The following is a summary of the key facts from the article:
- More than 50% of the U.S. population will contract shingles by the time they’re 80 years old.
- Shingles is related to the reactivation of the chicken pox virus due to stress, aging and changes in the immune system. Elderly assisted living homes in Woodland Hills and all over the country should definitely maintain careful records on residents to see which patients are dealing with stress or immune issues to evaluate if they’re at risk for shingles.
- Shingles typically has three stages: pain or a prickly sensation along the nerve corridor, an itchy rash and finally blisters.
- If you’ve already had chicken pox, shingles is not contagious.
- The chance of contracting shingles more than once is 5%.
- Complications related to shingles include sleep disruption, depression, hearing and vision impairment, bacterial skin infections, pneumonia, facial paralysis or encephalitis.
Vaccination is a controversial issue and the shingles vaccine is a relatively new development. It was just released to market in 2006. However, because shingles is so common and can be quite damaging, board and care homes in Woodland Hills and beyond should carefully evaluate the possibility of treating staff members and residents with a shingles vaccine.
At Shalom Elderly Care in Woodland Hills, we carefully review each resident’s health history and their current state of mind both mentally and physically. We inform our families of the latest medical news so that they can make informed decisions on how to care for their loved ones. Please take our virtual tour or call us today at 818.883.8384.